Skip to content

Happy Independence?

February 7, 2013

url

What does 39 years of ‘independence’ mean amidst globalization, hegemonic world powers, inequality, economic violence, and political impotence? How do we become and affect the change we want to see? We’re asking you, so please share your ideas below.

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. allie permalink
    February 7, 2013 9:54 pm

First of all I am a proud daughter of Grenadian parents. They love this Country& I enjoy listening to their stories. I have visited Grenada, what a beautiful place. My friends from Grenad keep me updated on current events as well as family so I joined some sites, participate in events& try to learn as much as I can about Grenada. I have to say that there is a huge disconnect with the Govt of Grenada & its peoples. The whole british system of education, law, needs to be reformed. We have to start thinking for ourselves then ppl can live harmoniously. Tourism is passe if the ppl living there only have schucking& jiving minstrel shows to draw ppl into the Country…the current Sports Minister I admire he has some positive incentives hats off Patrick Simmons. I am making an observation however the Euro/ patriarchal/sexist/classist thinking is pervasive& that’s what’s oppressing us.

• Groundation Grenada Action Collective permalink*
      February 15, 2013 11:14 am

We hear you Allie. A lot of what you mentioned is exactly why we started groundation!

2. February 7, 2013 10:25 pm

I support knowing our history. How can we know where we are going without knowing where we came from. For many young people being Grenadian means so little….I think we need to share the stories of those who did, could and would proudly stand up and say that they have contributed to the development of Grenada…….what development means is a whole other kettle of fish…but these are the things that we, as Grenadians need to consider….

• Groundation Grenada Action Collective permalink*
      February 15, 2013 11:17 am

Yes! There is a huge lack of engaging representation about past and present Grenadians at home and abroad who are making an impact and living their own truths.

3. February 8, 2013 7:47 am

Self-sufficiency in food is a must, so the imports remain luxuries, not become necessities.
    Proper support and mentoring for young people to set up their own businesses.
    A school system that values and encourages all the different talents that each child brings with them.
    People reembracing the idea of bartering skills and time rather than being ashamed to do this.
    That’s just for starters…

• Groundation Grenada Action Collective permalink*
      February 15, 2013 11:18 am

And what an amazing start that would be!